- I mentioned this once or twice, but people were EXTREMELY helpful in Japan. I thought Vietnam was impressive this was unmatched. All you had to do was linger by a subway map for longer than 30 seconds and someone would come up and say sorry, do you need help? or sorry, where are you going? At one point, I was standing on a street corner with friends trying to figure out which way to turn to find one particular area of Tokyo, and a man asked where we were looking to go and then walked us there. Without a hesitation. At least 8 different people went out of their way to offer assistance. This really moved me. Ive thought a great deal about how to give back in a similar way in my city.
Along with that, I cant help but marvel at the fact that the 2 countries weve visited that have most reason to hate Americans based on 20th century history have had the most generous and helpful people. I have had so much faith in humanity restored.
- Legwarmers are EVERYWHERE in Japan! I love it and I want all the snotty girls in Chicago who give me dirty looks for wearing legwarmers to visit Japan. I wanted to buy some new ones, but man they arent cheap.
- The highlight of my 4 days in Japan: we were on the train to Tokyo, and a guy about my age, maybe younger, sat down in his dark suit and emo, flat ironed hair. As he sat down, I noticed he had a gaggle of small stuffed animal charms hanging from his messenger bag. Excessive amounts. I bit my lip to avoid smiling, but it was great. A few minutes into the train ride, he pulls out a square Hello Kitty mirror and starts fixing his hair. At this point I caught Jodis eye and she had also seen the glorious mirror. AND THEN he pulled out the matching Hello Kitty comb, with charms dangling from it, and brushing small strands of his hair while looking in the mirror. I wish there had been a way for me to photograph this. There wasnt. Instead I took a mental picture and choked back a laugh.
- Japan (along with maybe Spain) was the first place where people left us alone. There wasnt the picture-taking that there was in China, or the hassling that we got in India or Morocco, and general yelling we found in Vietnam or Mauritius. It was refreshing ☺
- Vending machines are taken to a whole new level here. You can buy every possible liquid from a vending machine, including a drink that tastes like hot pancakes and maple syrup. My friend Dan got one. He said it was good, but it makes my stomach turn to think about.
- Care Bears and Popples are very popular in Japan. I was trying to find some good gear to bring back, but nothing good was in my price range. They are also obsessed with the Russian Matryoshka dolls.
- Japan also did the best job putting stamps in our passports and not taking up excessive space (Im looking at YOU, India
) I am SO glad it was the last time we had to carry our passports with us at all times in port. That was aggravating.
- I was saddened by the number of Japanese (mostly youth) that try to look Western. Many try to tan, dye their hair blond, wear colored contacts, etc. Eyes are made to look bigger and rounder in the photo booths. Most ads feature white people, or if theyre of Japanese people then the Japanese people have had their eyes and skin touched up.
- Regarding smoking: in China and Japan it was awful. Even worse than India. People chain smoke everywhere. I had a quick lunch in a non-smoking part of a restaurant and reeked of smoke all day long. In China, we walked into a restaurant that had big No Smoking signs, but everybody in there was smoking. Its excessive.
- Anyway, that wraps up my thoughts on each individual port. We are having VERY rough seas today (like last night) and it makes moving around the ship so difficult. Even in my cabin, Ill take one step and get pitched toward my bed. I came back from a meeting and my stuff is everywhere again. Its like having a very loud and messy poltergeist.
Its Wednesday night for me, and were losing another hour tonight (to be 16 hours ahead from Central time). Well do that a few more times, and then well live November 27 (Saturday) twice. I believe well still have to lose more time after that. I really dont know.
I will post more tomorrow about Thanksgiving. Its so weird to think about. I feel a little sad looking at Facebook and seeing everyones plans for traveling and being with family. I miss you all!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Wrapping Up Japan (like sushi...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment