It's a very weird feeling on the ship right now - there's so much to get done, and there's a lot of stress that goes with that. But then, there's also the pull to spend as much time as possible with friends. As I said the other day, it feels a lot like it did before I left for Virginia.
Well, I tried to start packing yesterday. My goal was to pull out the new duffel bag I bought and put all my new things in that bag. Great idea, in theory. Didn't really work out in practice. So now I have a big duffel bag sitting in the middle of my cabin that I keep tripping over, and it doesn't even have everything in it that I want. I've given in to the idea that I really can't pack yet. It's a giant puzzle that involves packing all bags simultaneously. Also, I need to do laundry once more before packing (get everything as small as possible - why is it that dirty clothes take up more room?)
There are obviously a lot of things that I miss from home, but there are a lot of things I'll miss from the ship.
- having my friends within a 1 minute walk
- the constant 360degree ocean view (which includes sunrises and sunsets)
- the excitement of a night before a port
- captain sightings
- the creativity required in daily life because we have to get by only with the materials that are on this ship
- the archbishop running around in his SAS tshirt and gym shorts
- measuring time in countries rather than days (ie "i've been sick since India" or "i haven't slept since Japan")
- needing 10 minutes to walk to lunch (which is a 1 minute walk) because I run into many people I want to talk with
- the faculty/staff lounge and always having a friend up there to hang out with
- the community-wide acceptance of fewer showers and wearing dirty clothes
- the immense appreciation I have right now for the very small things at home (I hope I don't lose that one)
- flip flops being acceptable footwear at every occasion
I was talking with Jodi about being sad about leaving and she asked how I'd feel if we still had a port coming up. I told her that I wouldn't want to stop at another port, that I'm ready to be home. And I am. But that really doesn't make saying goodbye to place I may not ever return any easier.
So, today's schedule includes a noon meeting, some reading time outside (I have to finish this book before we leave so I can leave it behind and get more suitcase space), happy hour party with the Archbishop and his wife, Yellow Sea study break.
5 more days....
No comments:
Post a Comment