Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Almost to Canada!


We will be arriving in Nova Scotia at 8am tomorrow (6am Central time...)!!

While we're allowed to leave the ship, we're not sure yet if we'll have time (things have been super busy).  I really hope so, but I'm just happy that the ship will be stationary for 36 hours.  Seasickness is about the worst thing I've ever physically experienced: I've matched my 7 year vomit total in just 24 hours.  Feeling better today though, thankfully.  The ship doctor has a little joke that there is only one undeniable cure for seasickness:  go sit under a tree.  He's hilarious.  He also showed us the morgue in the ship hospital - it's essentially 2 sliding drawers in the back of the clinic.  He said he's only had to use it once, when the captain died a few years ago.  I'm not sure why he told us that on Day 2. 

Nothing terribly exciting or newsworthy to report, we've been in orientation sessions all day. 

I'll give you a few other mildly interesting things though:

- My cabin steward comes by everyday to make my bed and fold that endearing little triangle into the end of the toilet paper and kleenex.  This makes me feel very guilty.  I still make my bed in the morning, but he redoes it anyway.  I guess I do a bad job.

- There is "cookie time" on the 6th deck between, like, 11am-5pm.  It just means we can go get a cookie and some water or juice. It's kind of like being in kindergarten.

- I found out that I got my trip to Cambodia (as well as the service visit I was hoping for in Morocco).  Now, when I had signed up for these trips, I had the option to submit a form to request to be a trip leader for both trips (every trip needs a faculty or staff leaders).  I completely forgot to turn in the form (and had been undecided about whether or not to submit one for the Cambodia trip). Anyway, we got the printout of trip leaders, and sure enough, there's my name beside both trips for trip leader.  So, not only am I going to Cambodia, but I will be leading about 60 students there as well.  The anxiety begins.... NOW.   Actually, it should be a good time, and I get reimbursed for half of the trip.  So that's nice :)

Shout out to my grandma, who is definitely not reading this, because she's turning 84 tomorrow (August 26).  Happy Birthday Grandma! 


Off to bed... (teeny, tiny bed)



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are settling in just fine Steph! Can't wait for the pics .... Take Care!! MP

    ReplyDelete