Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Just a regular day

Happy end of August, almost! 

It’s my 9th day on the ship.  105 more!  (or something like that…)

A semi-routine is coming together.  Sort of.

A typical ship day for me looks like this:
7am: Wake up & check email, internet, etc (it’s the fastest time of day and the only time I can do it from my cabin)
815am:  Breakfast
8:30-9:30:  Free time (I’ve been hanging out on the back deck, just reading outside)
9:30-10:30:  Global Studies - Everyone on the ship has to attend. 
10:30 – 12:00:  Work in the LLC office 
12:00: Lunch
12:30 – 1:30:  LLC meeting
1:30-2:00:  Post meeting questions, errands, etc.
2:00 – 2:30:  Confirm classroom reservations with the woman who prints the daily “Dean’s Memo”
2:30-5:00:  Student worker meetings, tracking people down (a lot harder with limited email and no cell phones)
5:00:  Dinner
6:00-8:00:  Student organization meetings
8:00-9:00:  Explorer Seminars (ie general lectures in 3 tracks – I coordinate them as part of my job)
9:00-11:00:  Student alcohol service – we have to “monitor.”  We switch off currently, so on the off nights (like last night for me) I either finish work or go to the faculty/staff lounge.

They’re busy days.

Plans are coming together for the next few countries.  I mentioned yesterday that I was tentatively planning to get to Sevilla and possibly Gibraltar.  That’s still the plan.  Right now, I’m planning to try to get to both Marrakech AND Fes in Morocco.  And then in Ghana, we’re planning to go to the capital (Accra) and Cape Coast (where the slave dungeons are). 

We lost another hour last night. Losing an hour every other night actually suits my insomnia well.

Also, we’re making good time (outrunning hurricanes and all) so we might be bunkering in the Canary Islands Thursday.  And then tomorrow morning between 5-7am we’ll be passing by the Azores.  I’m going to try and get up and see that.  Try. 

A guy on the ship is turning 30 on Wednesday, and 2 of his friends are planning him a birthday party.  They were GOING to have a Jersey Shore themed party, but some people did not appreciate that.  So it got switched to an 80s theme party.  Good thing I brought my leg warmers!  (not kidding).  Another LLC and I were really excited about the Jersey shore theme.  He was going to spike his hair up and I was going to wear a poof and bedazzle my sunglasses.  Oh well.   It’s not my dirty thirty party.

I guess that’s about it…  Today I get to go on a tour of the bridge, where the captain steers the ship and does other important things.  And then there’s a Faculty/Staff “we’re going to Spain” gathering.  Or something like that.  Here’s hoping there’s free sangria! 

(For those of you keeping track, I'm currently 4 hours ahead of Central Time). 

No comments:

Post a Comment