Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back in Spain!




Sort of.

I woke up around 5am this morning to what felt like sailing through breakwater and the slowing of the engine. I looked outside and saw land, and lights, and a city! I was very, very confused.

I turned on our TV (which shows us our position at all times) and it turns out we're in Las Palmas, capital of the Canary Islands. I went back to sleep (eventually) and woke up at 7am to a loud speaker announcement that we were refueling. I looked again and only saw water and some boats outside my window. Still confused, I went to breakfast and went outside and on the port side was the island. I did hear us drop the anchor though - that was looouuuuuddddd.

You can see a (pretty poor) picture of the Canary Islands on the left (what I saw at breakfast). You can also see why I've started to bring my camera everywhere with me.

I also woke up to some lovely decorations on my door from my friends. I've included that pic as well (it's early, I can post pictures).

Yesterday was a busy day back at work. Kind of stressful, actually. It was one of the more rough days I've had here, but hopefully that's over for now. I should've known the day would be "one of those days": I spent the first 2 hours of the day with 2 different shoes on and didn't realize.

Last night we met our "extended families." This is a program on the ship that brings together students from different seas and pairs them with a faculty or staff member. So I know have 3 kids. I'm pretty sure 2 of them hate me - they had that sourpuss face on all dinner. I'd be bummed if I got me as a "mom" too - the older lifelong learners are all super rich and buy presents and dinners for their "kids." I don't have the cash to buy their love :)

My next meeting was much better. The student group I advise - the Port Research Operation - had a very productive meeting and they're going to try to do a 3-5 minute video prior to arriving in Ghana. I'm really excited to see what they come up with. And I'm glad I bought a Flip!

I had no obligations after 2100, so I left my room with just the intention of trying to find our Community Resource Officer, Mary, to get her A/V request for her seminar tonight. The role of the CRO is to basically patrol the ship from 2100-0500. So she's a night owl. Mary is also former Secret Service and worked for them for 20+ years. Her husband is also former Secret Service (and was wearing an awesome t-shirt the other day that said ExFed in the FedEx lettering/colors - I laughed pretty hard). Anyway, the two were going to do a session on life as a Secret Service agent.

I ran into Mary on my way back to my cabin and she was in rough shape. Mary was bitten by a monkey in Marrakech (someone had forced it on her and it climbed on her head and bit her twice and punctured the skin). This means she had to start the rabies vaccination series. It's a very painful, VERY VERY expensive series of shots. Over 3k. She started them yesterday, so I wasn't surprised to see her like that. Keep her in your thoughts, there are many additional factors playing out with this that are really horrible.

Many people have asked about my plans for the day - it's a typical class day, so nothing crazy! The nurse on the ship is also named Stephanie and it is ALSO her birthday. So, some people are throwing us a party with the theme "Everything Stephanie" and people are encouraged to dress as their favorite historical or fictional Stephanie or wear something to honor us. I think there are going to be a lot of Stephanie Tanners at the party.

That's all for now! Off to do some laundry in my sink...

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you write becuase it is also how you talk :)

    Have a happy, happy birthday!!!
    AMK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Stephanie!!! What an awesome place to get to celebrate!! I agree with AMK that you write how you talk -- I often can even imagine the animation in your face and your hand gestures to go with your stories - LOVE IT!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie Tanner party!? How fun! hahah.
    Hope you had a GREAT birthday- love your blog!

    ReplyDelete