Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"culturally sweet"

I'm getting closer to seeing dolphins.

Last night at dinner, we were in the main dining room on deck 5 near the window.  I was sitting with my back to the window (stupid, stupid girl I am) and the people across from me all screamed and jumped up and pointed.  Those of us on my side of the table turn around and see a splash.  APPARENTLY a whale had flipped its tale out of the water.  Everyone in the dining room rushed to the windows and, I kid you not, I turned away for one second and missed the second appearance the whale made.  Again, I saw only the splash.  I did, however, see the water spout when the whale blew some water out of its head.  Or whatever.  I'm not a marine biologist, I don't know the terminology. 

Last night was the cultural preport for Ghana, which was pretty good.  We talked about using our right hands for eating, greeting, and exchanging money (the left hand is offensive because it's used for all bathroom bidness apparently - although I don't know who tracks that). 

Some Ghanaian facts for you all:
- Ghana was the first sub-Saharan African country to declare its independence (1957 - Morocco was in 1956 if you're keeping track).
- Ghana's major exports are cocoa and gold, although oil was recently discovered offshore.  This should be fascinating to watch over the next 10 years because it's expected to add another billion dollars annually to the economy.
- Obama visited Ghana last year (this may or may not be related to the above fact...) and apparently the Ghanaians are OBSESSED.
- Ghana's been a relatively stable country for the past 20 years. 
- Kofi Annan - former UN Secretary General - is from Ghana and this is why Ghana has such a high number of peacekeeping troops (mostly in other African countries)
- Ghana is pretty far down the Human Development Index, which means there are significant amounts of poverty.  While many students groaned when our interport lecturer mentioned that oil is now a major factor, I can't help but hope that it will lift up those in the country who need it most.

We also got to hear some of the very...creative questions the students asked.  My favorite was the student who was asking about Kente cloth (native to Ghana) and if it was "kosher to wear, because that would be, like, culturally sweet..."  Oh dear. 

Some other questions students have asked during the voyage:
"Do the crew sleep on the ship?"
"How high above sea level are we?"
"How much more submerged does the ship get?"

It keeps things entertaining :)

I had beverage service last night and it was a total drag.  Oh well, I won't have it again until after South Africa.

Malaria meds started today - gross.  Giant, blue, smelly, horse pills.  Can't be taken within 2 hours of eating dairy, antacids, multivitamins, or iron.  Can't lay down for an hour after taking it.  Increase the likelihood of sunburn (perfect for me, as I burn easily and will be on the equator for the next few days).  Must be taken 1 day before, every day in, and 4 weeks after being in a malarious area.  My last malarious area is Cambodia, so I'll be taking this stuff through early December.  I know, I know, it's better than getting malaria.  (maybe). 

So, I think I'm heading to Cape Coast for a night.  Some of us are doing a cooking class with the Global Mamas organization in Cape Coast on Thursday.  Then we hope to see the slave castles in Cape Coast and maybe spend the night.  The next day: either a batik-ing class or possibly a stop at Kakum.  We'll see. 

I'm excited to arrive in another port :) We get in at 0700! 

1 comment:

  1. " I did, however, see the water spout when the whale blew some water out of its head. Or whatever. I'm not a marine biologist, I don't know the terminology." This is quintessential Stephanie :)

    ReplyDelete