Friday, September 17, 2010

A Birthday to Remember

When’s the last time you spent a birthday surrounded ONLY by people you met a little over 3 weeks ago?   And you were unable to call your friends and family?

I think this was my first! 

It was certainly a day to remember, beginning with waking up in the Canary Islands.  After some breakfast, I went to Global Studies and then did some work for a bit before setting off to find a last minute replacement for my Explorer Seminar last night.

(Have I explained that yet?  I will now.  Every night at 2000 there are 1-3 programs  (Explorer Seminars) about the upcoming port, a developmental area, or any other enriching topic.  Nothing else can be scheduled on the ship during that hour.   It is my job to coordinate presentations/topics/presenters for each night at sea).

I found a guy to present last night – one of the faculty members who currently holds Thomas Jefferson’s seat in the Virginia House of Delegates.  He agreed to speak about his life in politics as well as the upcoming midterm election in the US.  He told me it was my birthday present.  A pretty good one, actually!  [Spoiler alert: he did an excellent job, it was very, very interesting].

I had a meeting, then another meeting, then a quick lunch, then our daily living learnin team meeting.  At the meeting, we had a surprise ice cream cake, which was both lovely and delicious!  I have a picture with the cake and my whole team, so I will have to post that later.  I had to leave my cabin to get internet this morning, so my camera is not nearby.

The afternoon was pretty lowkey – did work some in the lounge, and then went back to my cabin to lay down for a bit.  Dinner, Explorer Seminar, and then my birthday party!

The party was very fun – a lot of people came out, a lot of Corona was consumed, and 2 faculty members played their guitars and sang together (and you all know that’s about the best birthday gift I could hope for).  

I was really touched by how these people I barely know came to hang out, buy me a drink, give handmade cards or weird gifts (Mary the Secret Service Agent gave me a Secret Service keychain…. I’m totally official now).   I’m just very grateful.  And I’m grateful for all the wishes and messages from all of you!  It was a very global birthday ☺ 

Where should I go for my 30th??

No comments:

Post a Comment