Saturday, September 4, 2010

In Spain in the Membrane

As I write this, it's a little after 7am and we are pulling into Cadiz.  It feels like I'm in an airplane and we're about to land: I can see all the little lights, I can see the lighthouse flashing.  It's really exciting!  The pilot boat just joined us to guide us into the harbor.  Pretty soon the little tugs will come out to push us right in. We should be in at 8am.

8am is also when I have to report upstairs to help hand out passports.  We are definitely the last ones off the ship :(  I take that back - a couple students have already earned "dock time" which means they have to stay on the ship for awhile before getting off because of some violation of the conduct or honor code.  Dock time is also assigned when students are late for on-ship time OR for a meeting time while on an SAS trip. I think it's 3 hours of docktime for every 15 minutes late.  One student was 90 minutes late getting onboard the ship in Halifax, so he has almost a day of dock time. 

Creepy!  I just looked out my window and hundreds of birds are flying right along side us, accompanying us in!  (Rhonda, you wouldn't be able to handle it).

Yesterday was different from all other days on the ship.  You could feel the collective excitement and anticipation for Spain.  I felt really connected to the students on my sea as well as all the other faculty and staff.  I have this feeling that even though I feel settled in, things are going to change significantly after we return from these 2 ports.  But I think it's going to be a good change.

We had our logistical preport last night, and we got all the necessary information about where the ship will be docked, how to contact the ship if something goes wrong, what's a good taxi company, etc.  The medical team also came out to do a "flamenco dance" (the quotes are deserved) and remind students of some general medical safety tips.

Last night there were a lot of faculty and staff in the lounge, just excited for the next 11 days (we only have 1/2 a day between Spain and Morocco). 

I will certainly try to keep you all posted on Cadiz & Sevilla as it happens.  I'll be staying on the ship all but one night (Spain and Japan aren't exactly the cheapest destinations on this voyage). 

A couple shout outs:
Happy Birthday Aunt Maria!  Happy Birthday CC!  Happy 3rd DePaul Anniversary to ME! 

A huge congrats goes out to my dad and my uncles, who have won their A-boat sailing season for the first time ever!  I'm sad I'll miss the party!

And the biggest shout out to Vince and Maureen, getting married today!  Congratulations, and I really wish I could be there. I hope it's a beautiful day :) 

Un abrazo de,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment