I wont go into why duty was a drag the other night, but it was and I spent yesterday pretty sleep-deprived. The details are tedious, but it was just a rough early morning that didnt even end in sleep because of a weekly crew emergency drill. The bonus is that we moved our clocks back 2 hours last night. Im just glad they have experienced people to figure this all out, because it confuses me. I also know were going to lose those hours again, but for now it was a beautiful, beautiful thing.
Last day in Cadiz was uneventful really I walked around town by myself to spend my last few euro and take in a few more hours of Spain. I ran into a friend and helped him find the perfect postcards to send home and then navigate the post office. We came back to the ship early to avoid the long lines at security and then sat in the common area, just talking to people as they came home.
I had dinner on the ship (where they had a Moroccan dinner for us
sort of...adding chickpeas, cinnamon & raisins to everything does not a Moroccan meal make). We then had fun watching people sprint down the port trying to make on-ship time at 1800. We had a few runners at the end who the entire ship cheered on. I went up to the deck on 7 and watched people go through security for awhile (thats actually more fun that it sounds). Every student is patted down every time they board the ship (faculty & staff are excused from this although, the pat down woman has gotten me a couple times before I could identify myself as staff she is quick and, well, very thorough). And everyones bags are searched every time we board. This led to an awkward moment between me and the head security guard when I returned from Sevilla. Hes now well acquainted with my unmentionables.
Leaving port was really exciting and DEFINITELY the highlight of my day. We watched the port crew untie us and waved goodbye to them. I was watching with a guy who has sailed a few times before and he pointed out to me the most exciting part of leaving port: watching the pilot jump off our ship and onto his little pilot boat. You see, a Spanish pilot from the port boards the ship before we leave to help the captain navigate out the port and the harbor. His pilot boat is tied up to our ship, so as soon as were clear he climbs down a ladder at the back of the ship and hops back onto his boat. Its pretty amazing. Only then does our captain sound the horn and then we are officially on our way. I dont know if I can express to you how exciting this moment is. The guy next to me was so excited too, and hes sailed from over 25 ports now. Anyway, minutes after that happened, we had a very clear sunset right in front of our ship (no green flash though
). Its weird to be moving again
and rocking
. And more rocking
. I went medicine free for the night and today, but that patch is going back on before Ghana.
About 15 minutes after all that, we had our post-port reflection groups. Im so lucky I have an extremely thoughtful, reflective group. I really enjoyed hearing what these 15 students had to say about their experiences in Spain. And Im really looking forward to what they have to say about Morocco.
Morocco! Ill be there today. We have a combined cultural and logistical preport at 0920 and I hear were docking sometime between 1200-1400. Immigration/customs could take up to 2 hours. I hear Casablanca is a hole, so Ill be heading to Marrakech on Friday morning. Its supposed to be over 100 degrees F in Marrakech which is uncomfortable sounding enough, but guess who has to wear pants and sleeves?!?! These Americans do. Heat stroke, here I come!
Thursday, September 9, 2010
On to Continent #3!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment