Saturday, September 18, 2010

"It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you..."

 It’s weird to think we’ll be in Ghana in a few days – I’ve just really started to think about the kinds of plans I want to make.  I had talked with a friend a couple weeks ago about traveling to Accra (the capital, pronounced ah-CRAW) and then Cape Coast (where the former slave dungeons are), but transportation and infrastructure in Ghana are very underdeveloped.  I just don’t know what I’m going to do yet.  It also seems like a lot of SAS trips are full, because I think a lot of people are hesitant about traveling. Additionally, we’re only there for 4 days (Spain was 5; Morocco was 5 ½).

I met with my student group last night.  This is a group of students who do Port Research and present it to their peers somehow.  They had decided to do a brief interview with our interport student (a student who boarded in Morocco and sails with us to Ghana) and then have a bit of an overview of the country and customs.  We did a little bit of filming and I think it will turn out well.

I finally did laundry yesterday, in two different ways.  I packed up a bag of laundry to be done by the laundry service ($6 per bag washed – and they are small bags) and I washed a few things in the sink.  I don’t think I have very good “laundry-in-the-sink” skills, but I also don’t want some things to go through the laundry service.  I almost made it a month though.  But Ghana is going to be pretty sweaty.

We are sailing just off the shore of Africa (but far enough to be in international waters).  It is EXTREMELY apparent that we are no longer in the dry heat of Spain and Morocco.  It is that oppressive, wet heat outside.  I ate dinner outside last night and it was difficult.  The other night I went outside with a piece of paper to have someone complete and within 10 minutes the paper was wet. 

A meager post, I know.  I just have no idea what I was writing about  for 2 weeks before I got to Spain & Morocco.  Everything else seems so uninteresting now!  But it’s the weekend for you all, so I’m sure you’re not even checking now, which is great because then I won’t feel bad about the minimalism.

Happy weekend!  Go Packers!

PS - I'm hoping everyone knows the song from which the title of this post was taken... I've heard someone singing it once a day on the ship since we left Spain. 

1 comment:

  1. Finally catching up on your blog again, hope you blessed the rains...

    ReplyDelete