Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ghana Ghana Ghana

Good morning from Ghana!

We're sitting on the ship waiting for clearance.  It'll take a couple hours.  If I can get a free ticket, I'll hop on the city orientation, but if not then I'll probably just walk around Takoradi with some friends.

I added a few pictures from Morocco this morning.  Please scroll down to view :)

Our logistical preport last night was .... and I hate this word.... EPIC.  Truly.  Our medical team (who usually does something wild) changed the words to "Aquarius" and instead sang "We are in Ghana and we ain't got malaria..." [original: This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius...] It was amazing.  They had about 10 people dressed in tie dye and long hair dancing around.  The woman singing was one of the theater instructors and she's toured with a number of Broadway shows.  It was by far their best showing.

They did not, however, steal the show.  That honor goes to an older Biology professor who was due to present.  We all kind of wondered what he'd be presenting on at the LOGISTICAL preport.  He goes up there with an 8 slide, detailed presentation explicitly outlining the steps one must take to use a squat toilet.  Very specific.  I've not laughed that hard in months.  I need to get ahold of that presentation, although I don't think the slides alone would do him justice.  The last step (of, like, 35 steps) was "Purell might be a good idea."  Remember how I told you that the left hand is for bathroom bidness?  Yes, that was covered extensively. Anyway, he got a standing ovation.

This morning I ate breakfast with our interport lecturer, Joe-Baami.  (Creepy - he just appeared about 15 feet to my right in the empty lounge as I typed his name...).  He was on the team of people who wrote the Ghanaian constitution.  Yeah. 

Anyway, the man is fascinating.  It was a great way to start my time in Ghana!

I'm off to see if I can figure out some plans.  I do so much scheduling and planning ahead for my job on this ship that I just can't do it for ports.  It's too much. 

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment