(its the first day of September!)
Yesterday was kind of eh. Im getting a little antsy on the ship. Its time for us to be landed somewhere. Spain, specifically.
We had to turn in our form yesterday for the next set of field trips. In Capetown, Im trying to go visit a township and I believe I signed up for a visit with Operation Hunger where you get to see how the organization is helping out through 3 different townships. Im in South Africa for 6 days: it would be irresponsible to not see all aspects of the country and its history.
I signed up for a few day trips in India because Im on duty for the 2 middle days we are there, I cant get down to Pondicherry (the old French settlement town) like I had hoped. Instead, Im hoping to do a service project in a Dalit village and also go see a couple villages. And then I signed up to see the Cu Chi Tunnels and Cao Dai temple in Vietnam the day I get back from Cambodia. I decided to get my own bullet train ticket to Hiroshima SAS was charging waaaay too much for theirs.
Im hoping I get these trips! The great news is that none was more than $50.
Anyway, our bridge tour was canceled yesterday because the crew had an emergency drill. I think its rescheduled for Thursday. I did find my new favorite spot to get work done in the afternoon the faculty/staff lounge is silent during the day AND gets amazing internet strength because its right by the satellite.
I also had my first student group meeting: The group Im advising is called PRO or Port Research Operation. Basically, this group of students will compile some random information about our upcoming ports things to do, relevant current events, important historical sites, etc and inform the greater shipboard community. They are a small, but seemingly dedicated, group.
We did have a very nice faculty/staff gathering last night. Becky H you wouldve LOVED the appetizers (pickles & chorizo on bread). There was some wine and a chance to talk to people we dont see everyday.
Thats pretty much it. On the way back from the gathering, I ran into one of my students who has a ponytail that hes been growing out for 8 years. Hes planning to shave his head on Neptune Day (the celebration when we cross the equator). More on that all later!
We lost another hour last night now Im 5 hours ahead of Central Time. And I think we're losing another tonight as well...
This morning we passed by the Azores (Santa Maria, specifically). It was kind of weird to see some land, some boats, and some birds. Apparently half the ship has already seen dolphins playing alongside the ship and a few people have seen whales. I have yet to see anything. If I don't see any dolphins by the time I get home, I'll probably just lie to you all and tell you I did.
I'm going to try to post a pic I took of Santa Maria.
Have a great day!
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Rabbit Rabbit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment